A Healthy Breakfast for One
Smoothies for breakfast have been on the menu for a long time, however at Cocktails & Wanderlust we also like a breakfast that has a bit more of a crunch, that’s why smoothie bowls are the perfect answer! They are so quick and easy to make and they are great for cramming in loads of nutrients and antioxidants. Here is how to put together our favourite superfood smoothie bowl:
For the smoothie bowl:
- X1 handful of frozen strawberries
- X1 handful of spinach leaves
- X 1/4 avocado
- X1 frozen banana
- X2 cups of coconut water or almond milk
- X1 teaspoon spirulina
- X1 heaped teaspoon almond butter
- X4 pitted dates
For the top:
- X1 handful of fresh strawberries cut in half
- X1 handful of blueberries
- X1 tablespoon of granola
- X1 teaspoon chia seeds
Blend all the smoothie items in a nutribullet then add to a serving bowl.
The most important thing about smoothie bowls is that they are much thicker and slightly more frozen than a smoothie. Therefore you want to ensure that some of the items you are adding have already been frozen. For this smoothie bowl you can cut up your banana and add them with the strawberries into a freezer bag and stick them in the freezer the night before.
Carefully sprinkle each of the topping items in a line or in a section on top of the smoothie mixture.
There you go we said that they are really easy to make. The beauty about a smoothie bowl is that you can sit and take your time over eating it for breakfast rather than drinking it on the go.
Breakdown of goodness:
This particular smoothie bowl is really energising and bursting with health benefits, which why it makes it perfect before or after a workout!
- Spirulina – is packed with nutrients and also helps enhance endurance and muscle strength
- Raw almond butter – good source of protein and healthy fat which is great for energy and repairing muscles
- Blueberries – full of nutrients and antioxidants
- Spinach – full of nutrients, antioxidants and iron which is also great for energy
- Avocado – contains the healthy fat to leave you feeling full
- Chia seeds – protein and omega 3
- Banana – potassium rich which is again a great energy boost
It’s sometimes difficult to get hold of health supplements living in Newquay due to the lack of suppliers in the area. Therefore we like to buy our superfood supplements from the online health food store Indigo Herbs, based in Glastonbury. This company really see the importance in living a healthy lifestyle and provide products to the health conscious market! For this smoothie bowl you can get Spirulina here and Raw almond butter here. It’s really easy to make an order online from them and the products are packaged really well.