As the festive season approaches us, it’s so difficult to stay healthy. Especially as it’s even more tempting to indulge in things we wouldn’t normally touch with a barge pole.Therefore at Cocktails and Wanderlust we decided to put together our own healthy treat.The acai and beetroot brownies have so many health benefits, yet they also taste rich and chocolatey to help satisfy that sweet tooth.
The raw cacao powder and cacao butter are packed with antioxidants and minerals such as iron. The Acai powder is known for nourishing the nervous system as well as supporting a healthy circulation. Beetroot is also a good source of Iron.Therefore these brownies are both energising and mood enhancing, so a perfect boost during these short uninspiring dark days. See the recipe below:
How to make Acai and Beetroot Brownies:
- 400g of ready cooked beetroot
- 150g cacao butter
- 5 tablespoons cacao powder
- 40g cacao powder
- x 2 teaspoons of Acai powder
- 200g grounded almonds
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 100ml maple syrup
- 10 mejdool dates, de-pitted
- 3 eggs
- Set the oven to 180C
- Cut up the cooked beetroot into small pieces and put them into your food processor.
- Grate the cacao butter into a heatproof bowl. Then stir over a pan of simmering water to allow the cacao butter to melt.
- Once the cacao butter has melted, add 5 tbsp cacao powder to the bowl and stir thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and maple syrup.
- Add the melted chocolate to the beetroot in the food processor and whizz to a puree.
- Next add in the dates first and blend, before adding in the ground almonds, baking powder, cocoa powder, acai powder and egg mixture and blend some more.
- Pour mixture into a tin or heat proof dish (approx 22cm x 22cm) lined with baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until you can pierce the brownie with a fork bringing it out dry. Make sure you allow the brownie mixture to cool in the tray before cutting it into squares, this is really important as it needs this time to stick together.
- Remove the brownie mixture from the tray, leaving it another few minutes before cutting into squares.
- Turn on the kettle and enjoy the yummy healthy brownies with a cuppa.